Parish Mission Format
- The preaching team arrives by Friday evening.
- The preaching team conducts a mini-retreat for the local mission team on Saturday.
- Members of the preaching team preach at all the weekend Masses and invited parishioners to attend the mission celebrations.
- Each evening - usually Sunday thru Wednesday - members of the preaching team preside, preach and lead the children's liturgy of the Word during the mission celebrations. In parishes where there is a Sunday evening Mass, the mission celebrations are usually scheduled for Monday thru Thursday.
- There is usually a social after most of the celebrations - always after the last celebration.
- Some parishes also schedule the mission celebrations for another time - morning or afternoon - for the benefit of those who cannot come during the evening.
- Some parishes schedule home visits, visits to senior living, assisted care or nursing care facilities within the parish for visits, bringing communion or anointing of the sick.
- Parishes with schools often schedule a special Mass for the school children and/or visits to individual classrooms or a special assembly for larger groups of students during the day.
- The mission team departs on Thursday morning (or Friday morning is parishes that have a Sunday evening Mass and where the mission celebrations run Monday thru Thursday).
Click here to see more about the parish mission format of Proclaiming Abundant Love.
Click here to see more about the parish mission format of Celebrating Unbounded Mercy.
Click here to see more about the parish mission format of Gathering at the Lord's Table.
Parish Retreat Format
- The preaching team arrives by Friday afternoon.
- The preaching team conducts a mini-retreat for the local mission team on Friday evening.
- Participants gather Saturday morning, beginning with coffee and doughnuts.
- The mission preachers lead three celebrations on Satuday, one in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one in the evening - including a liturgy of the Word, an optional liturgy of the Word for children, and a ritual.
- Lunch and dinner are included in the day's activities.
- Participants gather Sunday morning at one of the parish Masses, followed by food and fellowship, and then a final celebration to bring the retreat to a close.
- Since the preaching team is only present for the weekend and the schedule is rather full, there are no additional celebrations or activities as part of the mission.
- The preaching team departs on Sunday afternoon.
Click here to see the weekend retreat format in more detail.
| Weekend Retreat |
| Preparation Process | Mission Celebration | Children's Celebration | Follow-up | Mission Formats |
| Return Home | Introduction | FAQ Page | Mission Outlines | Mission Schedules | Preachers | Contact Us | Planning Manuals | Other Downloads |